25 May, 2009

Belated Birthday Wishes to Mr. Bond, Ruskin Bond!!!!

I discovered Ruskin Bond in 2003, it was a small book "The Little Book of Comfort" by the time the book ended I had fallen in love with the author.

On 19th May Ruskin Bond celebrated his 75th birthday. I thought that there is no time better than now to put up my thoughts about him through a book review.


Warning in small print ;-)
a long post but request you read through :-)

This review was published
here originally.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Book : The Ruskin Bond Mini Bus

Publisher: Rupa & Co.

Price: Rs. 295/-

The book justifies its name. It is a journey of Ruskin Bond starting with his childhood and finally graduating to the present day. And for a change the journey ends with a foreword.

This journey is divided into four major sections

++ Himalayan Tales

++ The India I Love

++ A Little Night Music

++ Roads to Mussorie

Ruskin Bond takes us through his childhood through the Himalayan Tales.

The journey of discovering a pool, a river, mountains, glacier….the tales of childhood innocence where they were all eager to listen to a spooky story but post the story even a knock at the door was scary.

My favorite story from this section is The Cherry Tree, where a kid sows the cherry seeds he has eaten. What's his reaction when he sees the grown cherry tree after some years?

'Just one small seed, I Wonder, Is this what it feels to be God?'

This one line says so much. There are days when we question our existence & contribution to the world hardly realizing that we do make contributions through every smallest action.

In The India he loves, RB talks about the people he has met in life, about his extended family. The India he loves is the India he relates to, it’s made of people he has met, bonded with, lived with.
India for him is all about people, love & moments.

I loved the essence of this section. We go to new places, meet new people, acquire new assets and sometimes even start a new life. We always imagine ourselves to be in love with our new house, our new laptop, our new handset, our new friend. But is that what we carry forward later?

Nah! it’s the memories which remain with us forever. People come in your life, move ahead, they even hurt you but what they can’t take with them is the magic of those moments & memories, they will remain with us FOREVER.


A Little Night Music
is a collection of lovely poems of Ruskin Bond. Ranging from a poem on cricket to flowers to children…sample this

Cricket never will be fair
Till Bowlers get their rightful share
For toiling in the mid-day sun.
What should be done?
It’s simple –Make those wickets broader, taller!
That should make it much more fun, for the poor perspiring bowler.
PS And in the interest of the game, the size of the bat remains the same…
It is a collection of some lovely & simple thoughts. Many a times while reading this book I had a hearty laugh. Mr. Bond uses simple witty lines which make you smile.

Wouldn’t you smile if he says that his overgrown tummy is a ‘balcony’

Wouldn’t you smile when he is explaining that writing under a chestnut tree is better than sitting on a chair & writing and bang falls a chestnut on his head….


In the third and final section of the book RB tells us about his life & escapades in Mussorie. He talks about places near Mussorie, about his days there it is a collection of random thoughts of days & nights spent in the city. His love & affection is reflected here…

When asked why did he not move out of Mussorie? He says, “ I forgot to go away.”

All in all, this book is a collection of thoughts & events. Sometimes random, sometimes in flow, one thing which keeps the book bound by is the theme. The theme of living your life to the fullest, taking in the bad with the good. Enjoying the simple things of life & moving forward.

I don’t know how many times I have read this book but do you know how? I never leave a book mark in this one. I pick it up and randomly open a page and start reading it but never feel lost. Its so because it’s a collection of thoughts, which can never be book marked, they are always in a flow; you can meet them wherever you want to.

This book is a must read for all Ruskin fans, wanna be fans, for those who enjoy simple things in life, those who are missing something or someone in their lives...those who want to smile....the book is a must read for all book lovers....


~~~~~My Dream~~~~~


There is a knight in shining Armor, he picks me up and transports me to Mussorie.

I land under the Chestnut tree, where Mr. Bond is busy scribbling his thoughts.

He is shocked to see me...

Hey Gal what are you doing here?

Sir, I had a dream to meet you and here I am with a small request.

He asks me, What's your request dear girl?

Sir, will you take me through the mountains, the pools, the river, the nook & corner of Mussorie?

Will you let me put my hand in the crook of your arm?

Will you show me these places as you see them?
Will you show me how to see the beauty in these simple things?
I want to learn to live with these simple things, I want to smile on the simplest things...

Sir, will you teach me????

I will also thank him for being with me through my sad days & bad days, will thank him for making me realise through his writings that life is all about loving, caring, finding joy in small things & living.. Its about meeting new people making memories with them, take them with you if they want to, if they don't gift them some memories so that even if you are not around you are missed....its about letting go and moving forward in life.....

Trivia about Mr. Bond


## He is yet to use any kind of word processor. He prefers writing by hand and writes on anything he can get his hands on. The reason for not using the word processor is simple, he says he can not carry it with him to mountains; valleys; he can not carry it with him under his
favourite chest nut tree…

## Our dearest author can read the book upside down….he got this habit in his childhood when he used to accompany his father to school and used to stand opposite the students

43 comments:

  1. Nice book review. It seems you very much enjoy Ruskin Bond's book. :)

    Your review was also lyrical as the book . :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruskin Bond is surely one of India's most under-rated writers

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooo :) lovely!! i love Ruskin Bond :) glad you wrote this. however, havent read his books in ages! thank you for reminding me that i shud put aside those fancy books and re-read Bond...Ruskin Bond :) he he he

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the first book review i have read in your blog... very nice.. also its a nice account on Mr. Ruskin bond.. actually i bought a lot of books this january, but not able to read any read :( keep going Smita... as always books are the best companions :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'Not able to read any read' Take it as 'not able to read anything'...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good review. Reminded me of childhood. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice...I may look for it when I'm in India. I loved his Malgudi days. We did that in English when in school.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I havent read him yet! Will surely pick this book the next time i go book shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohh I love Ruskin Bond too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally love RB!!! Must read his books again :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What can I say! I was so impressed with the review that I ordered the book online immediately. Good a good deal too. Rediff.com is offering the book at Rs. 236 with free shipping. Anybody interested can buy it there.

    Thanks Smit :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice review.
    i do not read books much but your reviews make me feel like reading all of those books..Will start reading...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much smitha for such a lovely tribute to one of my favourite writers...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey me too a fan of his books. Very nice review :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. rusk in bond.. cool name..
    i always admired him ..

    he could read a book upside down?
    modern day buddha indeed.

    happy burthday to him.. and rupa publications has got a meaty business thru him

    ReplyDelete
  16. nice review..and yes Ruskin Bond is one of a kind!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes indeed!!

    A nice review there, Smi :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice post, I never had a chance to read one of his books. Will surely check out one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely review, Smita! It just reminded me of how much I used to love Ruskin Bond and how long its been since I have read him! Loved your review and loved the trivia more! I keep waiting to see what is up on your next post!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. ohhhhh! the post brought a smile to my face (yet again). Ruskin means love to me. He's one person totally in love with life. sigh! ages ince I picked any of his books. Maybe soon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely write up. It is such a pity I have never read any of RB's books :(

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice way to celebrate someone's birthday.. Your writing is very lucid and crisp and that;s what makes it interesting.. keep up the good work.. Not too much of a reader since a few years now.. but would love to start reading again.. I am a fan of Danielle steele..

    ReplyDelete
  23. hellllllllllllooooooooooo i AM BACK! Yessssssss! This time I hope there will be no more breaks

    BTW nice post there... kahin padha hai shayad maine :P
    Loved reading it again! Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Is there something that can sum up Ruskin Bond! The man is beyond the words which we lesser mortals associate him with. Any book lover will vouch for the fact that his writings have definitely inspired/influenced.

    ReplyDelete
  25. very nicely written

    :)

    a wonderful tribute indeed!

    hugs

    vyo

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ruskin Bond is one of my favorite writers and I sincerely believe that he has been very much underrated. A simple man that he is, even simpler are his stories, but it does make a profound impact on its readers. A true gentlemen.

    Wonderfully written!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very nice review. Why is the font so small???
    I will definitely read a book of his very soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Poonam :-) Oh that I do and I have a huge collection of his books :)

    Thank u so much :-)


    Hi Pesto :-) Oh ya thats so true!!!


    Hi Saima :-) oh wow u too a RB lover??? Good :) I do read n enjoy the present day fiction but RB's writings have a magic and they cheer u up in seconds :-)'



    Hi Kanagu :-) 1st book review that u have read on this blog?? why so???

    Which books have picked up and why are not able to read them??? Too tied up kya?

    lol I have asked so many ques in this one comment, will now shut up :-)


    Hi Sols :-) Well his writing has the freshness, charm & enthusiasm of a kid :-)


    Hi Babs :-) Magudi days...hmmm I don't remember reading it. And do pick RB's work it is priceless :-)


    Hi Winnie :-) Oh! sure do that and am sure you will not regret it :-)


    Hi Prats :-) Oh really?? Cool!!!! :) Which is ur fav book of his???


    Hi EISIS :-) Hmmm....hope u do pick up something soon


    Hi Varun :-) WOW!!!! U have zapped me :)

    Am so glad that you have ordered the book and trust me you will not regret the decision and you will fall in love with Ruskin Bond!!!!

    Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Mystery :-) wow am touched with that comment of yours :) trust me if my review makes even one non reader a reader then I wud be on cloud nine :)

    Thanks!!!


    Hi Dhiren :-) aha... ! Thanks..!


    Hi Little Girl Lost :-) The pleasure was all mine dear :) and glad to have one more Ruskin fan amongst us :)


    Hi Kanu :-) Really?? Cool :) thanks!!!


    Hi Gladiator Errr.....Chriz :-) Oye don't call him buddha he is a sweetheart :-)

    And why can't u read upside down??? Imagine if thats the only way you see a book and u WANT to read it then u will manage reading it anyhow :)

    I have a very sweet incident regarding his book purchase...might share some day :)


    Hi Rahul :-) Yes! one of a kind he is :) Thanks!!!


    Hi Shay :-) Thanks dear :) You have read him???


    Hi Rahul-2 :-) Try reading "Funny Side Up" it is another gem of a book & perfect to start with :-)

    Thanks!!!


    Hi Smitha :-) Thank you so much dear :)

    I hope that as now I have reminded u of him you will read some of his works soon :)

    And that is so sweet of u to say that :-) Thanks!!!


    Hi Bubs :-) Love, innocence, child like enthusiasm, optmism, happiness, funny, naughty...these are some of the words which I remember when I think of Ruskin Bond :-)



    Hi SR :-) What??? Hmmm u need to remedy that read his work soon :-)

    Thanks!!!!


    Hi Amol :-) Danielle Steel, I used to enjoy her but then all her books follow the same pattern. Divorce/ death/ re marriage/ personal conflict et all....but yes they do make a good TP read for me but it has been ages that I have read anything from her...may be I shud :)

    And thanks for the sweet words am touched :)


    Hi WIAN :-) Is that really u?? Can't believe my eyes, am sure am dreaming...


    Hi Vee :-) Nah! we can not sum him up :)

    And loved ur comment, its a sweet one :) Are u ok???


    Hi Vyzz :-) Thanks dear :)


    Hi Nishchaya :-) Thanks dear :)

    And u r right he is the most underrated writer. Most of the people categorise him as a kiddo book writer which so very unfair. In fact I know a book store which even keeps his books in children's book section. Needless to say I was apalled!!!!


    Hi Amit :-) Thanks :)

    I dunno!!! IE main font ok dikhta hai :(

    Do read his books u will not regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hey WIAN :-) So it is really you!!!!

    Now do not go away and get ur net connection restored soon!!! Koi excuse nahin chalegi....

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love to read the books but somehow I am postponing it.. donno why..

    as already I have lot to read, I never read your book reviews as they are relaively new.. and I don't think I will read them... :(

    anyways now I have decided to read 50 pages a day.. so will be able read something..

    currently reading is The winning
    and the one I bought long back is 'The white tiger' and 'discovery of india'

    ReplyDelete
  32. That is a great review :)

    memories gurl..memories..you touched so many of them..

    Ruskin Bond is synonymous with childhood for me:))
    I am reading his ghost stories wali book right now:)))


    he is in a class by himself:))

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hey Kanagu :) Postponing?? Hmm may be mood thing :)

    50 pg a day is too high an aim, start with 20 pages a day and make it a point that u read before you sleep trust me you will finish many books that ways :)

    Hmm White Tiger I have read nd enjoyed!!!

    Happy Reading :)


    Hey Indyeah :) Thanks dear :)

    Ghost waali book I have two...Omnibus I guess but yet to read them...as have said I read them at leisure :)

    And yes he is a class in himself but highly underrated!!!!

    Sad no?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hey Kanagu :) Postponing?? Hmm may be mood thing :)

    50 pg a day is too high an aim, start with 20 pages a day and make it a point that u read before you sleep trust me you will finish many books that ways :)

    Hmm White Tiger I have read nd enjoyed!!!

    Happy Reading :)


    Hey Indyeah :) Thanks dear :)

    Ghost waali book I have two...Omnibus I guess but yet to read them...as have said I read them at leisure :)

    And yes he is a class in himself but highly underrated!!!!

    Sad no?

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Poonam :-) Oh that I do and I have a huge collection of his books :)

    Thank u so much :-)


    Hi Pesto :-) Oh ya thats so true!!!


    Hi Saima :-) oh wow u too a RB lover??? Good :) I do read n enjoy the present day fiction but RB's writings have a magic and they cheer u up in seconds :-)'



    Hi Kanagu :-) 1st book review that u have read on this blog?? why so???

    Which books have picked up and why are not able to read them??? Too tied up kya?

    lol I have asked so many ques in this one comment, will now shut up :-)


    Hi Sols :-) Well his writing has the freshness, charm & enthusiasm of a kid :-)


    Hi Babs :-) Magudi days...hmmm I don't remember reading it. And do pick RB's work it is priceless :-)


    Hi Winnie :-) Oh! sure do that and am sure you will not regret it :-)


    Hi Prats :-) Oh really?? Cool!!!! :) Which is ur fav book of his???


    Hi EISIS :-) Hmmm....hope u do pick up something soon


    Hi Varun :-) WOW!!!! U have zapped me :)

    Am so glad that you have ordered the book and trust me you will not regret the decision and you will fall in love with Ruskin Bond!!!!

    Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Ruskin Bond is one of my favorite writers and I sincerely believe that he has been very much underrated. A simple man that he is, even simpler are his stories, but it does make a profound impact on its readers. A true gentlemen.

    Wonderfully written!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Good review. Reminded me of childhood. :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is the first book review i have read in your blog... very nice.. also its a nice account on Mr. Ruskin bond.. actually i bought a lot of books this january, but not able to read any read :( keep going Smita... as always books are the best companions :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Nice book review. It seems you very much enjoy Ruskin Bond's book. :)

    Your review was also lyrical as the book . :P

    ReplyDelete
  40. Всех с наступающим Новым Годом!!!

    ReplyDelete

Bolo Bolo Tell Tell...

Share This Post