05 December, 2012

The Shadow Throne

Title:        The Shadow Throne
Author:     Aroon Raman
Price:        INR 250/-
Publisher: Pan Macmillan
Genre:       Thriller/ Fiction
 
From the Blurb of the book
 
A mysterious murder at the Qutub Minar triggers a call to ace journalist Chandrasekhar from his cop acquaintance, Inspector Syed Ali Hassan. The victim is unlike anyone Chandra has ever seen: a white Caucasian male who has all the looks of a throwback to Greek antiquity. Soon after, Hassan calls in to report the case has been taken away from him in all likelihood by RAW the Research & Analysis Wing, the uber-agency of Indian intelligence.
 
What began as a murder enquiry soon morphs into a deadly game of hide-and-seek within the shadowy world of Pakistan’s ISI and India’s RAW; and Chandra, his friend history professor Meenakshi Pirzada and Hassan find themselves in a race against time to avert a sub-continental nuclear holocaust. As the action moves to its hair-raising climax among the Hindu Kush Mountains of Afghanistan, Chandra must face up to the fact that Inspector Hassan is not all that he seems…
 
My View
 
A taut thriller this book is surely worth a read. Very rarely do we get to read thrillers from Contemporary Indian Authors which have enough chills, thrills, intelligence & broodiness which makes a good thriller what it is. This book however works on all those counts.
 
What didn’t work for me in the book was a little slow beginning. Initially you would feel that almost nothing is happening but eventually the book catches up & becomes a page turner. Also the little bit of history in the book also gets a little boring.
 
Something that I liked a lot about the book was the way the Indo Pakistan relationship was presented, very different & offbeat. I won't say much about the book for the fear of disclosing the suspense.
 
A worthy page turner best suited for as a travelling read when you have time in hand.
 
My Rating: 3.5 Stars
 
P.S. Jas this post is dedicated to you because I was lying in a slumber when I read your comment which said, “Hope to catch up with you thrice a week :)” you reminded me of my resolve (yes I had already forgotten all about it;)).

7 comments:

  1. hmmmm well theek hai I wont read the book :)


    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
  2. and I am firsttttttttt wooooooooooo hoooooooooo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, forgot about my actual comment!! :P
    Sounds good! Will see, if I could lay my hands on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good Smita! I want some light read as of now and soon after finishing the books at my hand, I will get this one :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a interesting book. How was the language? Bad English just puts me off reading a book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds good, will put it on my wishlist :)

    ReplyDelete

Bolo Bolo Tell Tell...

Share This Post