21 January, 2013

From the Chronicles of a Dutiful Bahu!!!!

*Bahu - Daughter In Law

Yes I am back & how! Have a severe cold and cannot take chutti because there is so much to do here. The trip was good great, we all had loads of fun, managed to meet Scribby, won few prizes, danced like a dream and ate loads but that is all for another post.
 
On the first day of the trip we had gone to Ujjain, the purpose was to have a quick darshan of the Mahakaleshwar temple and then a move to Indore. Hubby’s cousin brother came to pick us up at the Station and he also informed us that Bhabhi (his wife) had gone to school but would come back by 9-9:30. After resting for some time we started getting ready. I had bathed Arnav when I heard the kitchen door open and then a voice announced, ‘I have come’.
 
I immediately thought that Bhabhi must have come, so I rushed into the kitchen & as per Indian traditions touched her feet. It was after I had touched her feet that I gave her onceover & the two things that came to my mind immediately were
  • She looked older than the cousin bro
  • She looked a little different (read taller) from how I had seen her last time.
But then I ignored both the points because a- didn’t matter & b- I was not very sure about my memory. So I engaged her in small talks like how she is & where I should hang the clothes etc. She answered me nicely and I went on the terrace to hang the clothes.

When I came back I saw here doing the atta, so out of courtesy I said

Me: What is this you have come just now & started working? (aate hi kaam pe lag gayi aap)
She: *She smiled* am doing my job. (Main apna kaam kar rahi hoon)

I smiled with a doubt.

She: Will you call bhaiya from the room? I need to ask how much atta I need to take.

I nodded & managed a hasty rtreat from the kitchen. My doubts increased manifold, I went to the main room, informed bhaiya & whispered in my hubby’s ear “I think I confused the maid with Bhabhi and touched her feet”.

It turned out that the lady was their cook and has been with them from a long time and is like a family member to them so there was no harm done by respecting her.

Not that I am regretting the incident because I very well remember that in the initial years of our marriage either I used to miss forgetting touching feet of elders or I would need prompting to do so. So after the initial misses I have adopted a policy of see-an-elder-touch-the-feet resulting in no-harm-to-anyone result ;-) and once in a while I give enough laugh worthy incidents for family.

So how have you been guys?

24 comments:

  1. Thats a cute incident Smita :)

    She must have made extra special dishes for the dutiful bahu na ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have touched feet of drivers and peons by mistake, so believe me, its perfectly normal. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. :D I am laughing reading this, and looking at me Zini too has started laughing...
    Thanks for making us laugh....

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL :D Happens! But no harm done in fact you would have got blessings. Also she may talk to all around that how nice the bahu from mumbai is! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. :P :P :P :D :D We have been smiling reading this account of feet touching :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehe... :D :D
    I am sure the incident will be remembered in many family meets :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a good laugh which broke the monotony of work :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. The maid must be super impressed by the visiting-bahu!!! You have just earned yourself an admirer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure exactly why but this site is loading incredibly slow for me. Is anyone else having this problem or is it a issue on my end? I'll check back later on
    and see if the problem still exists.
    Feel free to surf my web site hair loss products

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to miss some women and touch some other ladies' feet twice. :) Double or quits!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL!!
    you are very cute! :)
    And glad to know you had a great time! Take care and get well soon from your cold!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Link exchange is nothing else but it is only placing the other
    person's web site link on your page at suitable place and other person will also do similar in favor of you.
    Here is my web blog ... clemson football news for 2012

    ReplyDelete
  13. As the admin of this web page is working, no doubt very soon
    it will be well-known, due to its feature contents.
    Review my website Limited Ravens Jersey

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good one! Happens to all of us in the initial days of marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  15. (Thank you rounds are always welcome, of course. * Team answer sheets - Basically a
    grid lined A4 type sheet with answer write in numbered boxes and a line
    on top for the team name. They feature almost nightly drink specials and
    some form of entertainment every night of the week--DJ's, live music, trivia, you name it.
    My webpage ... free pub quiz answers

    ReplyDelete
  16. My developer is trying to convince me to move to .net from PHP.
    I have always disliked the idea because of the costs.
    But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using WordPress on a variety of websites for about a year
    and am nervous about switching to another platform.
    I have heard very good things about blogengine.
    net. Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress content into it?

    Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!
    My web site - area rugs

    ReplyDelete
  17. I needed to thank you for this great read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it.
    I have got you book marked to check out new stuff you post…
    my web site: buy 3 credit scores online

    ReplyDelete
  18. some people touch the feet, dirty ones pull the feet hehhe

    ReplyDelete

Bolo Bolo Tell Tell...

Share This Post